10.28.2010

Day 18- Something You Regret

"There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret or life is yours to miss!"- R.E.N.T.

That song has been in my head ever since I read Katie's post this morning. And it really got me thinking about regrets, and what a regret really is. So i dusted off my Merriam-Webster (okay, thats a lie, i just googled it) like the good English major I am, and looked up the definition. The first definition, means to mourn the loss or death of, or to miss very much. The second definition means to be very sorry for.

Clearly, to miss someone, whether they have died or are just away, is not something to be sorry for, or something I think you should avoid. Missing someone is human nature. I will always regret the death of Nick Ferris. He was only seven, and had so much life left to live. God has other plans, and I've accepted that, but I still regret his passing.

The second definition is the one I think this "day" is referring to. To be very sorry for something you've done (usually, I suppose you could regret something that someone else did, but this is something that YOU regret). In general, I don't think regrets are all that bad, but I do think they have an expiration date of sorts. You can regret something that just flies out of your mouth unwarranted. I know I have. But I've also moved past each of those incidents. You can regret something you did in your past. I know I regret relationships I've had with certain people. But, hard as it is, you have to move past it on to bigger and better things. You can regret the biggest thing thats ever happened to you in your life thus far. But as long as you are still dwelling on it, you are still letting it consume you, NOT good!

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that in this moment, I have no regrets. All I've done today is gotten up, packed my car up, showered, gotten ready, and headed to work. Nothing there to regret thus far. Now later today, something will probably fly out of mouth that I'll regret for a minute or two. Or maybe even an hour. Or maybe I'll think about it the rest of the day. But when I wake up tomorrow, that moment, that thing to be sorry for, that will be over, and I'll have a clean slate :) Let go and let God. He wipes away our regrets, those things we do that make us dirty. And he washes away those dirty regrets with his cleansing blood. How cool is that?

I know this was long, and it wasn't a list of things I regret. But this is how I interpreted day 18 :)

Have a great day :)

No comments: