Long Week

As I talked about in my last post, my dear Poppi went to be with Jesus Monday afternoon around 3 o'clock. I got the phone call shortly after, and instead of wallowing, I went straight to my Rho Gamma meeting. I got to meet my little precious pnm's (potential new members) and I got to laugh with my amazing Rho Gam partner, Heather, and it was just what I needed. I also had a rg staff meeting after that, so I was busy until about 11 o'clock that night. It was a nice distraction.

Then Nat and I packed up and headed for Crewe, VA; population less than 500. When Nat was allergic to my cousin Christy's cats and needed benadryl at midnight, we had to head to the only thing open past nine pm, the fasmart. Yes, fasmart. Even the closest wm was thirty minutes away. Needless to say, we had a great time playing with all the babies (Alena Grace, 6 mos; Kaleb, 16 mos; Kaiden 2 1/2 yrs; Jackson (known as Jacket by his little cousins) 5 yrs and Maddie, 9 years). Yes, I know Maddie is not a baby, but I remember when she was! I got to feed, change and make them smile, which totally helped me to cope with what was going on.

Seeing Poppi Wednesday afternoon before the visitation was the hardest part for me. Not eating and his illness had him drop a ton of weight, and his face didn't even look like him. Only from the nose up did he look like the man I know. It was also hard hearing Kaiden ask for his Poppi, and having to explain to him that Poppi went to Jesus a few times. He is two and a half, so he didn't understand. He was so sweet though.

The funeral Thursday afternoon was nice, and Stuart even drove down from Charlottesville for it. I think my family was really appreciative. He even held a baby for the first time, haha. The graveside was at my great-grandmother's church, and I got to see her grave and my great-grandaddy's grave for the first time. Her house was right next door to the church too! We then headed back for a dinner that the church ladies put on for us, complete with fried chicken and home-cooked meals. Alena Grace fell asleep on my lap, and some lady had the audacity to ask me how I went to school and had a baby, haha. I let her know immediately that she was not my baby!

We headed back to Bburg on Friday, and I got a little work done before completely breaking down. I knew it was coming, and Stuart ended up coming down and spending the weekend with me. It was exactly what I needed. I had a Red Robin Free Burger coupon from my birthday, so we went to see Due Date(free drink coupon!) and then went to Red Robin for an early dinner. We came back and studied a bit for finals, before watching another movie on the Wii and heading to bed. He just left an hour ago, and I have been saying lots of prayers because it is snow/rain/sleeting outside.

I need to go hop in the shower though, because Heidi and I are driving to Charlotte to go pick her boyfriend Paul up from the airport. Paul goes to school in Chicago now, and I am so excited to see him! He was supposed to fly into Roanoke, but the weather is really bad in Chicago, so they cancelled his flight and he hopped on another one to Charlotte, which is about two and a half hours from here. Say lots of prayers for a safe trip for Paul and a safe drive for Heidi and I.

I know this was boring, but this was a week that was hard and I wanted to have it for my records, just to remember.


No comments: